Saturday, August 6, 2011

Doing the Hard Thing

Yesterday was tough, and it seemed to become more difficult as the day wore on. By 9:30 pm I was tired, angry and hurt. Very hurt. And yet, by God’s infinite grace, I actually slept well last night (i.e. wasn’t awake the entire night thinking about this situation).

Before I went to bed last night, I spent some time thinking/praying about this whole thing. I also started making some decisions on how to handle it. And while I do not know if they are the correct decisions (that will require much more prayer), and while I know that they are not the best decisions for me and will cause me additional hurt, I do believe that they are decisions that will best protect the other person and their walk with the Lord. (But again, I know it is crucial for me to seek God’s wisdom in all of this, to make sure that it is His plan I am following and not my own.)

“Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.” (1 Corinthians 10:24)

Please do not misunderstand me – I am no martyr! However, if I claim to be a child of God then I must follow His instructions! And since the Bible makes it very clear that we are not to cause one another to stumble, that is the last thing I want to do when it comes to my friend and their relationship with God. (And, yes, I do still consider this person a friend!)

“Do not cause anyone to stumble ...” (1 Corinthians 10:32)

So as I move forward down this path, I pray that God will grant me: peace around the decisions I have made on how to handle this situation; patience to leave it in His hands and not try to “fix it” my way – which would only make it worse, and the ability to trust Him completely and accept the outcome – whether I like it or not – knowing that He is in complete control.

From the very beginning of this relationship with my friend, He knew exactly how it would play out, and He also knows exactly how it will end. As ...

~ Friends for a reason

~ Friends for a season

OR

~ Friends for a lifetime

To God be the Glory,

No comments:

Post a Comment